DANTE, der Verein deutschsprachiger TeX-Anwender, fördert weiterhin TeX-Webseiten wie TeX-Internetforen und mehr. Installiert und betreut werden zwei Server von mir. Die finanzielle Unterstützung von DANTE deckt den kompletten Betrieb zweier Server ab, von Hardware-Miete und Gigabit-Internet-Anbindung bis hin zu Backup-Space und Servicegarantie. Die zwei Root-Server stehen bei Hetzner Online als dedicated Server, dort kann man Kosten einsehen. Die 125€ monatlich summieren sich auf 1500€ im Jahr, die von DANTE übernommen werden.
Vor ein paar Jahren habe ich eine Auswahl hier vorgestellt: https://texwelt.de/blog/dante/
Es ist ein bisschen mehr geworden mit der Zeit, hier ist eine fast vollständige Liste: http://tex.world/list/
Bei Gelegenheit gern mehr zu diesem und jenem.
Vielen Dank an DANTE und die Mitglieder!
An intensive discussion is going on here: https://tex.meta.stackexchange.com. Let me summarize, what I read:
- TeX.SE got a new design
- There was a design discussion before, but no TeX user suggestion has been considered
- There are a lot of opinion and suggestions
- Some very active users call for boycott, some simply leave
- People in the TeX community feel ignored and lost trust in StackExchange
- The option of hosting an independent site is being discussed
When I read about the removal of the custom design the first time, about streamlining to be more effective, it reminded me of similar activities when a company goes to the stock market, tries becoming more effective for investors or buyers, outsources its IT department, or simply tries saving money. Speaking of that, I doubt the classical ways of a social network to earn money from the users works with TeX friends (selling advertising of stuff or jobs, working with user profiling data).
In the TeX.SE chat it was discussed as well. My last suggestion, a few minutes ago, was, to nicely ask SE if they would allow the TeX community to go free as an independent (TUG supported) site like it was with our blog tex.blogoverflow.com, when they decided to not support the site blogs any more. With the content that TeX uses created and with thanks to SE as the company with the technology that raised it.
I would happily support technically, as I already run three non-English TeX Q&A sites. Just a design should be done by somebody else.
LyX 2.3.0 has been released. I listed the quite a lot new features already here:
The blog is not abandoned… I just used to post here recently:
Probably you saw it in the TeXample blog aggregator. Who cares anyway still I enjoy writing and sharing news.
Today TeX Live 2017 has been released. Some of the changes:
- TeX Live manager (tlmgr): new shell mode, that allows scripting. Commands are like invoking tlmgr with options. For interactive use but especially useful for scripting.
- TEXMF tree structure: users can now easily add and remove additional TEXMF trees, supported by the tlmgr
- LuaTeX: more
- control over typesetting
- access to the internals
- XeTeX: Unicode/OpenType math is now based on HarfBuzz
- updmap and fmtutil: now requiring mode specification (system or user), to avoid accidental wrong usage
- texosquery-jre8: new cross-platform program for getting OS information within a TeX document
For download and documentation visit tug.org/texlive.
Deutsch: TeX Live 2017 erschienen.
More news on the TeXample.net/community news feed (hourly updated).
Yesterday I read the LaTeX2e-News of April 2017. At first I tried it using a smart phone, then with a tablet. The news don’t appear as text on the project’s web site, there’s just a link. It has to be read as a PDF file, in US letter size (8,5 x 11 inch) format, non-tagged, twocolumn. If one is able to read it scrolling to the left and right, one still needs to scroll far back above and to the right, at the end of a column. That’s laborious to me. And it’s just simple text with a few headings. It doesn’t contain any tables or figures or bulleted lists. No reason that it really needs LaTeX.
This month saw a new release of LaTeX2e. The following has been changed or added:
- In addition to the yyyy/mm/dd date format, LaTeX now accepts ISO 8601 format date strings in the date argument of \ProvidesPackage , \usepackage , etc. That simply means dash insted of slash. So, today can be 2017-04-17.
- The new TU encoding for specifying Unicode fonts with LuaTeX and XeTeX got extended support for the dot-under accent, \d.
- Verbatim environments now use a \language setting to prevent issues with fonts that were not loaded with hyphenation disabled via \hyphenchar=-1.
- \- now inserts the current font’s \hyphenchar instead of a simple -.
- LaTeX now supports a default document language parameter, that may be relevant to language packages such as babel.
- While LaTeX normalises the baseline spacing inside a \parbox already, it now resets \lineskiplimit in addition.
Regarding changes, the latexrelease package may be used to force the older behavior.
Karl Berry mentioned it on the TL mailing list: TL 2016 is frozen now, a final build has been made. The pretest of TL 2017 will start soon.
At the end of this month I would like to go to the BachoTeX. I planned to go with kith and kin. So with wife, two kids, the dog and a few things. I rented a Ford Tourneo 9 seat van. Now I got to know, that the rental car company Hertz prohibits to drive with the car in our neighbor country and EU member Poland. From the “Driver’s Guide“:
Die versuchte Einreise in gesperrte Länder führt zur fristlosen Kündigung des Mietvertrages, den Verlust der Haftungsbeschränkung und des Diebstahlschutzes sowie zur Belastung aller entstehenden Kosten sowie ggfs. zur Sicherstellung des Fahrzeuges durch die Grenzpolizei.
So confiscation, cancellation and costs. For Poland this is valid:
Verboten für Mercedes, BMW, Fahrzeuge der Premium Kategorie, SUV’s, Cabriolets und alle Transporter und LKWs.
Premium, Ford Tourneo? Well, I asked on the phone. they told me, except with a Ford Fiesta or equivalent I’m not allowed to drive to Poland.
At once the tour to Poland is uncertain.
Does anybody go to the TeX meeting in Poland, from or via Hamburg, with the option of a big car and easy travel with some halts? I happily take the fuel costs, if needed an appropriate part of rental costs. I would be happy about a quick info. My wife already looks at holiday cottages at the North sea and the Baltic Sea, since our vacation week is fixed. I still hope to go to the BachoTeX.
Zur Info, die deutschsprachigen Berichte notiere ich hier: http://texwelt.de/blog/category/dante/