August 20th, 2010 by Stefan Kottwitz
Mbmcavoy asked on TeX.SX:
How can I manually install a package on MiKTeX (Windows)?
I’m using MiKTeX on Windows. My employer’s locked-down network blocks the application’s automatic installation function. I can take my laptop home and successfully install from there, but if I need a package in the middle of the day I’m stuck.
I am able to access the CTAN website and download the package files (.dtx or .ins?), but I don’t know what do do with them. How can I do a manual package installation?
The answer on TeX.SX explains three ways:
- Installing a package available as dtx/ins bundle
- Installing sty or cls files
- Obtaining and installing packaged universal archives in tds format
- Gives links to further information
- Shows a different and very effective way, using a local repository