This month saw a new release of LaTeX2e. The following has been changed or added:
- In addition to the yyyy/mm/dd date format, LaTeX now accepts ISO 8601 format date strings in the date argument of \ProvidesPackage , \usepackage , etc. That simply means dash insted of slash. So, today can be 2017-04-17.
- The new TU encoding for specifying Unicode fonts with LuaTeX and XeTeX got extended support for the dot-under accent, \d.
- Verbatim environments now use a \language setting to prevent issues with fonts that were not loaded with hyphenation disabled via \hyphenchar=-1.
- \- now inserts the current font’s \hyphenchar instead of a simple -.
- LaTeX now supports a default document language parameter, that may be relevant to language packages such as babel.
- While LaTeX normalises the baseline spacing inside a \parbox already, it now resets \lineskiplimit in addition.
Regarding changes, the latexrelease package may be used to force the older behavior.